Simon Fraser University

Undergraduate Advisor


BACK to main undergraduate page.


Welcome to the undergraduate advising pages. You will find solutions to the most common problems below, under Frequently Asked Questions. For other issues, you can contact me at the e-mail address below. You will hear back from me in a day or two when your issue has been resolved or if more information is needed. For urgent matters please come to my office during advising hours or make an appointment.



Simin Bagheri Najmi

Undergraduate Advisor



physhelp(AT)sfu(DOT)ca (the best way to get in touch with me)




Office hours - Summer 2014

Weekly: Monday, Tuesday  9:00am - 4:30pm

               Friday 1:00 pm-4:00 pm















        Frequently Asked Questions

  • Please note: BISC 100 or 101 or 102 is now a co-requisite for PHYS 101. You must be registered in (or have taken) one of these courses before being able to register in PHYS 101.
  • Although physics 11 is a recommended pre-requisite for physics 100, it is not a requirement. If you have ALL the requisites for physics 100, except physics 11, you should be able to register for physics 100.
  • Regarding tutorials and labs: If the tutorial sections are full you cannot register in the course. Please keep checking for available spots in the tutorials (also, sometimes new sections open up). I cannot give overrides into the tutorials nor do I have the ability to open up new sections.
  • PHYS 120 satisfies the same program requirements as PHYS 125 and PHYS 121 satisfies the same program requirements as PHYS 126. (i.e. if you have PHYS 120 you do not need to take PHYS 125 and if you have PHYS 121 you do not need to take PHYS 126, regardless of which program you wish to register in).
  • Prerequisites are listed in the University Calendar. The prerequisites are requirements and prerequisite overrides can generally not be given by the undergraduate advisor. You may request a prerequisite override if you believe you have taken a similar course at another institution which has not transferred as the prerequisite credit and your grade in that course is considered adequate. If you are in this category, you must ask the instructor whose course you wish to take to e-mail the undergraduate advisor and indicate that permission is granted to take the course.
  • Late registration in a course requires the instructor's permission. Please ask the instructor to e-mail the undergraduate advisor indicating that permission has been granted. It is not possible to register in a course after the second week of classes.
  • Students must get a grade of C-minus or better in any physics course which is a required prerequisite. The D grade is acceptable for program requirements only. (i.e. With a D you have credit for the course, and it will count towards your degree. However, you will have to improve the grade if you are going to use it as a pre-requisite for another physics course.)
  • Because of the above regulation, you cannot take PHYS 121/126/141 if you have received a D grade in PHYS 120/125/140. If you have received a D in PHYS 120/125/140 then you should check if the course is offered in the upcoming semester and re-take it. Alternately, you can check if the department you are majoring in will accept PHYS 101 and PHYS 102 (perhaps with a minimum grade level) in lieu of PHYS 120/125/140 and PHYS 121/126/141. Both PHYS 101 and PHYS 102 are offered in all three semesters. It is possible to take PHYS 131 along with PHYS 102 if your program requires PHYS 131.
  • A student cannot enroll in physics 121/126/141 without being registered in (or having previously taken and passed) math 152 or equivalent.
  • Students requesting transfer to the Faculty of Science must demonstrate their ability to handle university level science courses. This usually involves successful completion at SFU of at least three required lower division courses from a program they are interested in pursuing. These courses should be completed in two recent semesters, with reasonable marks (at least a C+). A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 must be attained. Students who have achieved these goals should contact the Dean of Science Office for acceptance into the Faculty of Science.
  • Students considering going into graduate studies should sign up for an honours program. In the honours program you must maintain a GPA of at least 3.0, and a minimum of four courses per semester is strongly suggested. You should declare your intention to enroll in any physics program to the undergraduate advisor, usually after the first semester of second year.


BACK to main undergraduate page.